this page I will post racing
is a term you would like defined,e-mail me and I
will probably post it here.
Some of the questions may be basic,but some of our players are new to the sport
- Two Turns or Two Turning-A race around Two Turns,usually a race one mile or longer,in distance
- Wire To Wire-When a horse leads a race,from start to finish.
- Furlong-One eighth of a mile
- Sprint-Usually a race of less than a mile
- Route-Usually a race of one mile or more
- Underlay-A horse that is overbet
- Overlay-A horse that is underbet
- Closer-A horse that comes from behind
- Tracker-A horse that lays just off the pace
- Pace-Leader or leaders,frontrunner's that set the pace.
- Maiden-A horse that has never won a race.
- Claimer-A horse that runs in claiming races.When a horse is entered in a claiming race,the horse can be claimed (bought) for the price specified.
- Starter Allowance Race-A race where you can enter your claimer,and they can't be claimed.Your horse must have raced in a claiming race for the price specified or less,in the current year,to be eligible.
- Stakes,Handicaps and Graded races-These races are for the best horses
- Purse-The prize money that is distributed to the first five finishers in a race.
- Exacta-You win an exacta,when you pick the first two finishers in a race,in the exact order.
- Trifecta-You win a trifecta,when you pick the first three finishers in a race,in the exact order.
- Handily-Shows that a horse won,well within itself (Not all out )
- Driving-The horse won fully extended.
- Ridden out-The horse went just about as fast as it could,without being fully extended.
- Easily-Won with speed in reserve,could have gone faster,if required.
- Favorite-The most favored horse in the race,the one who will have the shortest payoff,if it wins.
- Longshot-A horse that is less favored,that will have a higher payoff,if it wins.
- Program number-The number used to place bets.
- Post position-The part of the starting gate that the horse will start from.Number one starting from the inner rail.
- Short-A horse that probably needed the race,and will probably be tighter next time.
- Tightener-A race that the trainer is using for conditioning,to get the horse in top shape for another race.
- Workout-A conditioning exercise between races.
- Colt-A male horse,less than 5 years old
- Horse-A male horse,5 years old and older.
- Filly-A female horse, less than 5 years old.
- Mare-A female horse,5 years old and older.
- Breeding-A horses family tree.
- Bred in the purple-A royally bred horse,one with very good breeding.
- In-the-money-A horse that finishes,1st 2nd or 3rd.
- Greenly-Usually a young horse,who is still inexperienced,still learning.
- Class-The level at which a horse races.
- Miler-A horse who is at it's best up to a mile
- Form-How a horse is racing at present(good form or bad form)
- Allowance NW-1-A race for horses that have never won a race,other than maiden or claiming.
- Allowance NW-2-For horses that have never won more than one race,other than maiden or claiming.
- Allowance NW-3-For horses that have never won more than 2 races,other than maiden or claimer.
- Allowance NW-4-For horses that have never won more than 3 races,other than maiden or claiming.
- Allowance-No restrictions,your horse is eligible for this race,no matter how many races they have won.
- Allowance(H)-Your horse must be a homebred to compete in this race.
- Place-To finish second
- Show-To finish third
- Deadheat-When two or more horses finish on even terms,and can't be separated by the camera
- Conditions-Describes which horses are eligible for a given race
- Sitting on a win-Usually a horse that has everything in their favor,and has what appears to be a pretty sure chance of winning.
More will be added as time permits.
This page has been clicked ontimes.